Prof. Girish Kumar, Electrical Engineer from IIT Mumbai did a startling revelation that “there could be a 400% increase in the risk of brain cancer on excessive use of mobile phones amongst teenagers”. He was speaking at Aligarh Muslim University on Radiation Hazards of Cell Phones. He noted that the findings of his report should be taken very seriously to curb the excessive use of cellular particularly among teenagers. He urged the people not to use mobiles for more than 30 minutes a day. He has also submitted the report to the central government on the serious health hazards of excessive use of mobile technology. Putting forth his arguments, Prof. Girish highlighted that the release of free radicals into the human body due to excessive use of mobile phones also causes male infertility.
While feeding, to keep the erring children engaged, mothers often give mobiles to teenagers which causes grave risk as the child’s skull is thinner and easily penetrated by radiations. IIT Scholar lamented that there was a 400% increase in the risk of brain cancer among teenagers due to excessive use of smart mobile phones.
• Scientific Studies on mobile phone radiation effects, people obsessed with a cell phone for over an hour a day for over ten years have a significantly higher rate of Brain cancer and many other detrimental effects and ailments in their bodies, Dizziness, neurosis, insomnia, headaches, loss of memory, erratic behavior, etc.
• World Health Organization (WHO) classified Radio Frequency (RF) radiation as ‘possibly carcinogenic for humans, based on an increased risk for glioma, a type of brain cancer’.
• Phone in your bed, or near your head, could increase the risk of brain cancer, warns the California Department of Public Health. Phones emit radiofrequency energy, which some scientists believe could increase the risk of brain cancer, and tumors of the acoustic nerve and salivary glands
• Short-term effects may include sleep disorders, headaches, depression, memory loss, etc. while long-term effects can be a brain tumor, cancer, DNA damage
• Children and teenagers, below the age of 20 are five times more likely to get brain cancer, as their brain is not fully developed and radiation penetration is much deeper. [Graham C, Cook MR, Gerkovich MM, Sastre A, “Examination of the melatonin hypothesis in women exposed at night to EMR or bright light”, Environ Health Prospect 2001 Dec; 109(supply):911-933. ].
PRECAUTIONS TO PROTECT FROM MOBILE PHONES:
• Keep your cell phones away from the body. Avoid keeping in a shirt pocket. In-Office keep it in table draw/bag
• Prefer landline over mobile.
• As far as possible keep the mobile away from children.
• Talk on the speaker. Text as much as possible.
• Don’t talk on the phone while it is on charging mode as the amount of radiation emitted is 10 times higher.
• Avoid using your phone on a low battery. Do not use the phone when the signals are low.
Pramod N Sulikeri – 98443 66188